SPAIN | TERRA ALTA
Joan Àngel Lliberia, Edetària’s heart and soul, started Edetària’s adventure after studying Agricultural Engineering studies in Lleida and taking a Master of Science in Wine Management at the Office International de la Vigne et du vin.
His first wine management profession took place in several wine companies in France; then he moved back to Catalunya, where he continued his career in the wine sector and later on in multinational corporations. It was his childhood spent amongst a universe of vineyards, grapes, and cellars, and his passion for wine that called him back to his origins to set up Edetària.
A dream come true, a homage to his grandfather Llorens -an oenologist- and his parents Pepita and Angel -viticulturers-, making true terroir wines out of his family vineyards in a genuine style.
Edetària produces authentic wines with indigenous grapes, searching the purest soil expression, and restoring the value of old vines thanks to organic winemaking. Wine belongs to a land and its main aim is displaying the expression of soil, climate and a way of being. Thus Edetària is fully committed to respect nature and sustainable practices in search of Terra Alta genuineness.
Edetària makes wines with its own personality, out of deep terroir knowledge and strict winemaking, but also allowing room to inspiration, and experiment freely for the sake of creativeness.
VIA EDETANA BLANCO
70% Garnacha Blanca / 30% Viognier
» Both grape varieties are vinified separately. White Grenache comes from 40-year-old vines, and it is only harvested when the ripeness of the grapes ensures structure and varietal expression to the wine. Early harvest of Viognier grapes grants the wine floral aromas and freshness.
» Half the wine ages in 300-litre oak barrels for 4 months with its own lees, and the other half in tanks to extract the highest expression.
» Complex wine with an intense bouquet marked with fresh aromas of white fruit and flintstone. Round and full, with well-integrated flavours in the mouth, creamy with an extremely elegant and fresh finish with a lingering salty minerality.
- Some super fresh green peach and lemon on the nose with a light, grassy edge. The bright, juicy and elegant palate has cool and restrained fruit. Long and fresh. Drink now.❞ — James Suckling (August 2018)
- 91 POINTS — James Suckling (August 2018)
- 91 POINTS — Guiapeñín 2019
VIA TERRA BLANCO
100% Garnacha Blanca
» Maximum expression of the indigenous White Grenache variety achieving delicacy and simplicity.
» Aged 3 months on its own natural yeasts applying the “battonage” technique.
» Fine and elegant aroma with distinct fruit and floral notes and hints of citric. Fresh and silky, with a soft and persistent saline finish.
- A bright array of melon and pear with a lighter palate and an apple, light lemon and peach finish. Drink now.❞ – James Suckling (August 2018)
- This white has a thick texture, delivering pear, guava, tarragon and blanched almond flavors. Firm acidity and a touch of tannins give this a solid frame. Muscular, but remains balanced. Drink now through 2023. 5,000 cases made.❞ — T. M., Wine Spectator (2018)
- 92 POINTS — James Suckling (August 2018)
- 91 POINTS — #47 — Wine Spectator 2018, Top 100 Wines
VIA EDETANA TINTO
60% Garnacha Fina / 30% Viognier / 10% Carignan
» All grape varieties undergo separate winemaking until final assemblage.
» Fermentation and maceration with skins for 15-20 days in steel tanks, with malolactic fermentation and pumping over technique. After fermentation, each wine is aged separately for 12 months in 300 litre oak barrels.
» This wine shows the new trend in Grenache wines. The Grenache gives all the fruit and adds freshness and a wild touch, Syrah enhances the wine flavours and Carignan displays complexity in a lush wine of genuine personality.
» Combination of aromas; red and sweet fruits with a touch of spices. On the palate shows a medium to full body, with red fruits again, a velvety ripeness balanced by fresh acidity. The finish is long and spicy with ripe and balanced tannins.
- 91 POINTS — Guiapeñín 2019
VIA TERRA TINTO
100% Garnacha Negra
» Fermentation and maceration with skins for 12-15 days in steel tanks, with malolactic fermentation and pumping over technique.
» Aged six months in 300 litres oak barrels with its own natural fine yeasts.
» Complex wine with an intense bouquet marked with fresh red fruit and hints of wild herbs. Tasty and elegant in the mouth with sweet tannins. Fresh and long finish.
- Baked summer berries with a vibrant, youthful edge. There’s a neat, grainy feel to the tannins. Juicy and supple, making delicious drinking now.❞ – James Suckling (August 2018)
- This supple red delivers a nice mix of red fruit and dried herb flavors, with fresh acidity balancing the light, firm tannins. Marries exuberance and elegance. Drink now through 2027. 5,000 cases made.❞ — T.M., Wine Spectator 2018
- 90 POINTS — James Suckling (August 2018)
- 90 POINTS — Wine Spectator 2018, Top 100 Values